20.4.18 - my ride or die make up essentials

DISCLAIMER

I feel I have to say this before I go any further with this post that I AM INDEED NO PRO MAKE UP ARTIST. There are often days that I decide to give my skin a break and go bare faced. Most of the time, I prefer to opt for the minimal, low maintenance look. I really don't have the patience for certain make up products or techniques and I'd much rather focus on my thick curly unruly hair first.


There are a few make up items that I feel are a must have in my make up bag. Over time, I have began to try new products but there are also certain products that I feel quite loyal to, as I love the looks they create. Many items in my collection have been discovered from reading other bloggers posts, watching YouTube videos or by recommendation from friends and family. I thought that this would be a great idea for a blog post to talk about those ride or die beauty products that I feel are essential to me in my day to day life. 

Now that's been said, lets crack on....

- BASE -


PRIMER (MOISTURISER)
Simple Kind to Skin Light Moisturiser SPF 15 - Boots £6.99
The one in the picture wasn't on the Boots website but this one above is very similar ^^


As a person who doesn't always wear a full face of make up, I don't tend to use a primer. I feel that it is something that I can do without in my day to day make up look. My skincare routine is fairly basic and consists of cleansing, toning and moisturising after a good wash in the shower with a decent face wash. Moisturiser I find acts as a primer so that's why I don't really feel the need for it unless I wear a full face of make up. Simple is a brand that I like to opt for as it is suitable for sensitive skin. I always try to go for products that are fragrance free with mostly natural ingredients. I want to ensure my skin is not going to break out or become dry. I have used this for a few years now and it is probably my favourite budget moisturiser. It doesn't feel heavy or make my skin feel sticky when applied and also helps keep my make up long lasting.


FOUNDATION
Charlotte Tillbury Magic Foundation in Shade 2 - Charlotte Tillbury £32


I have to say, I've never been the biggest fan of putting on foundation every day. First off, I am a pale skinned gal that struggles finding the perfect shade and secondly, I don't have the patience when it comes to applying make up, especially on those early mornings. A lot of high street foundations are too dark for me and I'm always worried I've missed a bit when blending. I do prefer to go for the minimal every day look as it's lower maintenance but I do like to make the effort occasionally. I don't know how people have the patience topping up make up throughout the day - kudos to you all! One foundation I've always heard good things about was the Charlotte Tillbury Magic Foundation. When I do wear foundation, I like to have full coverage as having fair skin and dark circles, I like to ensure those veiny eye bags are covered up. Luckily, a woman on the Brent Cross Fenwick concession stand gave me a few testers to try before I purchased one. My shade is Fair 2 and it blends into the skin really well. It perfectly covers up my imperfections whilst also having a smooth matte base without the cakey finish. 


CONCEALER
Collection Lasting Perfection Ultimate Wear Concealer - Boots £3.99


Most people, especially the avid beauty blogger readers, have probably heard about this concealer. In 2017 it was the most popular make up product with ten sold every 60 seconds (Womens Health Mag). At only £3.99 a shot, it is an absolute bargain. This product really does wonders for my tired eye bags as it is fairly high coverage. Most of the time, I will use just the product alone with a moisturiser and set with powder. Some people think this product can be heavy and cakey, but less is more so you don't have to mad with it. It's always out of stock in my local drugstores so I tend to buy three at a time, especially if there's a 3 for 2 deal on. This way, I'm stocked up for the next six months or so. If this product ever changed or became extinct, I would be forever heartbroken. It is known to be the dupe to the NARS Radient Creamy Concealer which is a product I've been meaning to try for a while.


POWDER
NYX HD Finishing Powder - NYX £9


I've gone through a few translucent powders over the years from Bareminerals, Boots No7, Rimmel, Models Own and more. My current powder is the NYX HD Finishing Powder which I'm really liking at the moment. NYX is a great brand for me as they are cruelty free. This is always nice to hear! Most make up and toiletries that I tend to purchase are free of animal testing, as I don't believe an animal should have to suffer for the sake of a red lipstick. Natural ingredients should be used more within make up and everyday items instead of harsh synthetic ingredients or chemicals that are possibly dangerous to us. I find NYX to be an affordable high street make up range, allowing me to feel super sassy without breaking the bank.


- EYES -


EYE LINER
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner - Debenhams £16


In 2016, I went to Barcelona with my friend Elisha and it was here that I visited a Sephora for the first time. It was a big beauty haven where I spent a good hour and a half looking around, swatching things. It was probably about €150 that I spent in total. I saved up for it though, as I knew I was going to going to a Sephora during my stay. I was hearing a lot about Kat Von D's make up range by a number of bloggers. I believe it was during a Helen Anderson video that I discovered the Tattoo Liner. I picked one up for myself as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. At the time, the limited edition versions were still around so I managed to grab one. Since then, I have been loyal to this eyeliner as the results are fantastic. The nib is precise and it really does not budge.


MASCARA
Clinique High Impact Mascara - Clinique £19


One thing I like to ensure about my mascara is that the wand is a classic full brush spoolie and not a silicone newer style spoolie. I find I get on better with the traditional mascara wands as it gives a fuller result. My lovely Nan works at my local Clinique make up counter so she is always recommending me products. I believe I received this mascara for my birthday last year but I only began using it since Christmas. I love the full yet natural results I get from this mascara. One thing I like about Clinique as a brand is that their products are 100% fragrance free, so no breakouts from synthetic fragrances.


BROW CRAYON
Sleek Eyebrow Stylist in Light - Sleek £6.49


It's not all the time that I will fill in my eyebrows, as you have read, I live that low maintenance make up life. If I'm going out somewhere, then I will fill the sisters in a little. I have used this brow product for about three years now. The crayon is great as it allows me to add small strokes of colour without looking too heavy. The spoolie at the other end is great as it allows me to brush out any excess and also helps to define the natural shape of my brows. A perfect 2 in 1 item that makes my brows look naturally fuller without looking like I have a pair of slugs on my head.


BROW GEL
Barry M Take A Brow - Barry M £4.99


When doing my eyebrows, I'm very conscious about the possibility of the sisters not behaving. I like to tame them with a clear brow gel after I use my brow crayon. Barry M is also another cruelty free brand. Therefore, I'm happy to purchase their items and know that what I'm using will be safe. I didn't know this until I went to grab the link for this post, but this product is also Vegan! It's the perfect size spoolie as I've used other eyebrow gels in the past and not got on with them. It allows me to not put too much product on, as I have found this out with other clear brow gels that have slightly bigger spoolies.



So, there you have it! I'm not the biggest make up wearer, but these are the items that help me feel a little more alive. I don't really bother contouring much or wearing lots of eye shadow. These are things that I really need to have the patience and time for.

Are there any products that you couldn't change or live with out?

Back soon for some more blog posts. Need to keep up with blog writing as it's something I really enjoy. Working full time makes it hard to fit it all in but I'll squidge a few in here or there.

lcm xo

1 comment