25.05.17 - you're a taurus and i'm aqaurius





Last Friday, I went to see a band that I've been wanting to see for almost nine years, Metronomy.

It was back in 2008 when I discovered these guys after learning a routine in GCSE dance to a song of theirs called 'The End of You Too'. If I had to describe their sound it would be a funky French sounding disco pop. On their wikipedia page, one of their described genres is 'wonky pop'. Other bands that are grouped into this genre include Hot Chip, Empire of the Sun and Lykke Li. These are all artists that I have frequently listened to in the past and still love.

The only downside to loving a band like Metronomy is that I don't have many friends that share my love of this band. I got my boyfriend into a few of their songs from the 'The English Riviera' album when we were on holiday once, but I still haven't found someone who loves them quite as much as I do. This is why I decided to go to the gig by myself. I've been to another gig by myself before and it wasn't actually that bad. Whenever I go to festivals, I always tend to have a little wonder around by myself if there's a particular act I want to see and no-one else fancies it. After all, I am a 24 year old so I'm no kid anymore!




I don't know why it took me so long to see this band but it was definitely worth the wait! When they announced that their new album 'Summer '08' was coming out last year, I was praying it would be just as good as their four previous albums. As always, they produced another masterpiece. My favourite song from the album has to 'Old Skool' which has a funky 70's disco feel to it with a cheeky bit of cowbell action. 

The last gig that I saw at 02 Brixton Academy was for Korn back in 2014. I forgot how big the venue actually was. As I went on my ones, I opted for seating rather than standing so that I could have a comfortable seat and get a decent view without all the giants getting in my way. I managed to get a decent seat right at the front of the upper circle so I had a pretty nice view.

Support acts were Dutch band 'Klyne' and Mancunian lads 'Dutch Uncles'. I quite enjoyed Klyne and have actually downloaded their stuff since the gig. Their music is described as synthpop and features soulful vocals from singer Nick Klein. However, I'm not sure I quite liked the other support, Dutch Uncles so much. If I had to describe them as a band, it would be nerdy boyband pop with a hint of 80's. The singer Duncan Wallis had some almighty dad dancing disco moves though! Just wasn't my cup of tea if I'm honest!




The setlist was mostly full of songs from their most recent album 'Summer '08'. In fact, I think they played all but one song, 'Summer Jam'. My all time favourite song from the band is 'Radio Ladio' from the 2008 'Nights Out' album but unfortunately I didn't get to hear this one. Another favourite of mine 'Boy Racers' from the 2014 album 'Love Letters' didn't make the setlist but there's always a chance I'll be able to catch those gems live in the future!

:)




I'd just like to end this post by remembering those who were at Manchester Arena on Monday 22nd during the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert. I was in complete shock when I heard about the attack. A gig is the last place that anyone should experience terror of any level. These events are places for people to feel free and full of joy, not panic and pain. I'd like to to say that my thoughts are with all of those who were affected by this attack.

The one good thing to come from this, was the support and solidarity of the public services and people in Manchester who helped those in need. We must not let attacks like these rule our day to day life. My Dad always thinks that I should avoid going to places like London in case anything occurs, but that is not the way we should go on. We must show these cowards that we will stand together and not let the fear take over us.


#westandtogether

No comments